Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Via dei Teatro del Valle-- the street where I live.





I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in Roma. I've never felt a moment of anxiety during the walk home from work, often at midnight.  I am, however, always relieved when I arrive to my little via. 

No matter which direction I come from, the familiar sight comfort. I know I'm close to the apartment when I see my landmarks, which is a big deal -- the old streets all look the same in these parts. 

Directly next-door is the Teatro del Valle, a theatre. They they begin a run of "La Strada," a stage version of Fellini's 1954 film. Across from the apartment is the Teatro Bar (in Italy, bars are like snack bars that serve alcohol and limited menus, usually including salads and sandwiches). There are several small shops in and around the area, including a few that sell woven baskets, chairs, plant-holders, etc. Each shop displays a handwritten sign that reads (in Italian), "we fix any anything," or something like that. There's the evangelical church, a calzoneria (a shoe store), a wine shop, hair salon, bookstore,  a couple of restaurants, et al.

When I return from work, a 10 minute walk, I turn right at the defunct "Tipografia" shop. 

Parked along the narrow street, there are always a myriad of cars and and motorcycles. On theatre night, people crowd the street making it nearly impossible for cars, bikes or pedestrians to get by. 

Welcome to my hood. 

2 comments:

  1. It's one of the safest streets in Rome because it's right up next to Italy's Senate!
    That's not to say you can watch anti-bush riots, demonstrations, and all kinds of stuff going on on Via Vittorio Emanuele (we saw hoods breaking store windows and setting off smoke bombs) from our vantage point, but you're right it's safe -- and probably no more violent anti-Bush demonstrations in the future...but we can all throw our shoes down on him should he care to show his face.

    p.s. You even have a doorman -- but you can't see him from your entrance.

    ReplyDelete