Sunday, March 15, 2009

Learning Italian in the Kitchen

Valentin likes to say that in the kitchen, we are family. And like all families, we're functionally disfunctional, although I must say of all the kitchens I've experienced, there is a lot of respect and cooperation among the cooks, chef, waiters and management. Perhaps because the kitchen IS small (like most Roman restaurant kitchens in old buildings), everyone is on best behavior. Still, I am learning a colorful Italian.

My favorite expression? Vaffanculo! Pronounced vah-fu-ahn-coo-olo, it means "F*#K YOU." I love it so much I try to use it in a variety of situations, appropriate or not. The staff all laugh when I say it.

5 comments:

  1. I meant that comment for the artichoke dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annabella, they're all laughing because it's like hearing a sailor's tongue out of the face of an angelic cherub!
    Besides, in Italy women don't even laugh out loud let alone swear in public (even tight spaces)...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Italy has taken to monitoring its changing language and how once forbidden words have made its way into the vernacular. You can take the questionnaire at:

    http://www.focus.it/volgarometro

    ReplyDelete