Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Parole di giorno



So, each day I learn new words.  Parolacce (pah-ro-lah-chay) are curse words and each day I learn one or two more.  My favorite? Minchione (mink-ee-yoh-nay), which is used to mean "idiot," but actually has raunchier connotations. 

A darling waitress from Havana, Cuba, Danaysis wrote down for me "mi chi ti s'uncula" -- which means roughly, stick it where the sun don't shine. I toss that around a lot.

Irene (ee-rehn-ay), another waitress, wrote some others for me to remember. This is a colorful one -- "li mortacci tua" -- which translates (according to restaurant owner Allan) into "a curse on your festering dead relatives." Three more: "bastardo" (obvious), "figlio de una troia," son of a whore," and "testa di cazzo," dick head. 

Of course after nearly every instance I say, "sto scherzando" -- I'm kidding!  

2 comments:

  1. I love these stories and descriptions....I feel like I am looking through your camera as your take snapshots of life and work in Italy. What a great way to experience a foreign country that i have never visited but really want to....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Italian speaking sister taught me a great way to shoo off unwanted attention: Mi fa sciffo! I would let that one out and guys would look at me like, WTF?!?!? She told me it means, 'you disgust me.' Rachel got me to say it with the right jaunty bounce to it. Worked well. Ah Rome...

    A

    ReplyDelete