Saturday, March 21, 2009

Campo Tales -- High on Produce
















A mere few minutes away from where I'm working and staying is perhaps the finest open air market in Roma. The piazza Campo de Fiori (literally "field of flowers") is a favorite haunt for foodies from around Rome and the globe. 

Even on the coldest, breeziest, rain-threatening day since I've been here, the market was crowded on a Friday morning with locals and tourists buying fresh produce, meats, fish, poultry and fiore (flowers of course), spices, nuts and cured and smoked meats, cheeses, dried fruits, kitchen utensils and more. For tourists only, you can find the usual t-shirts, printed aprons with all things Italian, silk scarves and ties, etc. 

With 50 Euro in my pocket,  I let loose buying 'antipasti' ingredients for the evening's get-together at the apartment (Lisa invited some friends over for cocktails). 

In the thick of Campo de Fiori, I got my usual "shoppers high" that comes with food shopping. Although Lisa gave me a list: bread, tomatoes, basil and some tiny stuffed peppers, with cash in my pocket, I'm I can't be stopped (except when my Euro run out).  

I ogled the artichokes, spied the tiny fragolini di bosco (strawberries the size of marbles), checked out the Rombo (turbot) and spigole (see bass).  

My first purchase was eggplant -- not on my list, but I couldn't resist.  I paid my 3 Euro and went in search of the peppers. A half-kilo of Sicilian green olives, mixed nuts, a red bell-pepper, grape tomatoes, fresh basil, mushrooms and a couple of onions later, I was on my way home. I stop at the supermarket and bought some fresh bread and grissini (breadsticks) and a few steps I was home, my dopamine levels still elevated from the experience. 

I never did find the tiny stuffed peppers. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great photos and entry!! Thats an amazing market! How was the party???

    ReplyDelete