Wednesday, April 1, 2009

In the Cucina #7


The code phrase for a romantic encounter in Roma is "Allora ... andiamo a prendere un caffe," or let's get coffee. If someone asks you for coffee or a drink or conversation, it's because they are interested in some sort of nookie -- they are "flirtare," flirting with you. 

I have decided that every man in Italy flirts. 

Since it was decided in Cantina's kitchen that, "in the kitchen, we are all men," it wasn't long before I was part of the gang, so, no more holding back anything -- including, swearing, burping and flirting (not with me!) with every "bella regazza," pretty girl. One afternoon, a young cook practically begged the sweet cuban waitress, Dana "ti va un caffe." She said no. She always said no. 

And these guys all have real girlfriends. 

When a "bella regazza" entered the restaurant there was a flurry of excitement in the kitchen. I was constantly rolling my eyes when talk about these regazzas started. If she was, say, amply endowed in some way, hands gesticulated to show just how big. Or when a table of women entered, the questions were always, "are they pretty?" Special service with an extra big smile for these women. 

Later NOTE: On the way back to the Rome airport at the end of my trip, the gruff looking. 50-something taxi driver, Paolo, began playing a Brazilian music CD in his standard-issue white cab. As the Carnaval sounds of "Partido da Vida" played in the background, Paolo became increasingly happy during the 40-minute ride. With my positive reaction to the Brazilian music, he turned the volume way up. 

A few minutes before reaching the airport, he asked me to stop with him for coffee! Sorry, I can't -- I have a plane to catch. Only in Italy! 


3 comments:

  1. i will be in Rome next week, in hollydays, do you suggest me any restaurante or place to go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, i love Cantina del Vecchio -- I worked there and the food is delicious. I will give you more suggestions ... soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This from the NY Times

    http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/travel/22choice.html

    Don't forget to take my fab Audio Tours on your iPod:

    www.touringtracks.com

    ReplyDelete